Article I: Purpose
To ensure that necessary records and documents are adequately created, maintained, and disposed of in the best interest of the organization, and to comply with applicable laws.
Article II: Scope
This policy applies to all records generated by board members, employees, contractors, and volunteers.
Article III: Record Categories
- Permanent Records: Articles of incorporation, tax exemption documents, board meeting minutes.
- Financial Records: Audit reports, financial statements, tax returns. Retain for 7 years.
- Personnel Records: Employment applications, performance reviews, payroll records. Retain for 7 years post-employment.
- Program Records: Grant applications, activity reports. Retain for 3 years.
- Miscellaneous: Emails, correspondence. Retain for 2 years.
Article IV: Electronic Records
Electronic records should be backed up and stored in a secure, accessible manner.
Article V: Destruction
Documents should be destroyed after the end of their retention period. Destruction should be irreversible and secure.
Article VI: Compliance and Review
- Responsibility: A designated officer is responsible for the implementation of this policy.
- Review: The policy will be reviewed annually.